Keep The Peace.
This working group seeks to promote peacemaking through advocating for peace in global conflicts and addressing the pressing issue of gun violence in the United States.
Current Keep the Peace Agenda
In relation to gun violence:
1. To encourage the establishment of gun-free zones like schools and churches
2. To encourage laws that expand background checks (Brady checks) and establish a waiting period for gun purchases
3. Advance Red Flag provisions/laws. (A Red Flag law is a gun violence prevention law that permits police or family members to petition a state court to order the temporary removal of firearms from a person who may present a danger to others or themselves.)
4. To encourage the banning of the most dangerous firearms, i.e. automatic and semi-automatics rifles and the restriction of high-capacity magazines.
5. To encourage laws that place restrictions on 'concealed-carry' permits and require permit renewals and that ban untraceable guns.
In relation to peacemaking:
1. Established an Emergency Response Team that will be deployed in the event of a hate crime incident in SW Michigan
2. To Monitor global situations in which religious based violence or oppression is occurring and in which it is envisioned that US elected or appointed officials can be instrumental in advancing human rights of oppressed religious groups and in promoting religious tolerance and protection